Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Monday, January 5, 2009

new piece of furniture: antique needlework table

I'm so excited about this - we were just given this antique needlework/knitting table. It is fantastic.



Isn't it lovely?! We had dinner with the parents of a friend of ours this past weekend, and his mother just pulled this out of a closet for me to take home when she found out we liked antiques. I couldn't believe it. It is a great piece - the two half-tubes down each side upen at the top, which would have originally been for yarn or project storage. Then, of course, there are three drawers - and it's fairly sturdy. Mr. Goldner says he would estimate it at 1910s-1920s. There is a little wear and tear on the top, since Mrs. Goldner told us she had used it as a nightstand for years; but it will be easy to refinish if/when the time comes for that. For now, I love it as-is in our living room. I can't believe they just passed off such an amazing piece to us - I'm thrilled!

10 comments:

  1. That's so pretty! It would look great in an entryway of newly purchased home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How great is that!!! I like it where you put it. You'll probably have it forever in a zillion different settings over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so pretty. And I agree--you'll be able to use that table in a million different ways over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have the same table. trying to find out more about it. have a partial stamp on the bottom. made in Hobken NJ with a product number see if yours has the full stamp

    ReplyDelete
  5. Barbara, I looked on the bottom and there is a white stamp that reads "NO. 1466". That is all I have on mine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi got your message on the stamp on mine the are the letters feruc and the rest is missing along with the number 3998 i think it was manufactured by Brosnan furniture comp. in hoboken NJ

    ReplyDelete
  7. my table has been with my family since it was purchased. Most of my family are from NJ and CONN. i am not sure how old it is, but they are very well built. mine is also a dark wood. be careful refinishing your table, it might take away from its value

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ill let you know if i find out more imformation

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Barbara, thanks for the information. Yes, please do let me know if you find out anything more!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i recently picked the same table up at a thrift store for $20.00! i knew it was old and a specialty table. i used howard furniture restorer (not refinisher) that was at home depot and the table looks like new!

    my table has no markings or lable whatsoever. i am thrilled to see the information all of you have accumulated.

    the table does not fit my decor whatsoever and i am going to try to sell it for about $300.00 to an antique dealer. may try an auction. it is definitely a piece of americana.

    does anyone have any idea of value??? mine is just a guess.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...