Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Enchilada Casserole

Our church (Shiloh UMC, where we got married) has a potluck lunch after Communion Sunday on the first Sunday of every month. In order to revive it a bit, we decided to start theming them. Our fist theme lunch was last weekend and it was Tex-Mex. Yum...talk about a huge array of Mexican casseroles, appetizers, sides, whatever you could want. Anyway, at one of my wedding showers, the hostess sent out recipe cards for guests to return to me with a favorite recipe. Nathan's cousin Anna gave me this recipe for Enchilada Casserole, which I haven't made yet...so I thought I'd try it out. It was awesome. It smelled amazing cooking up, got lots of rave reviews at the potluck, and the leftovers were awesome Sunday night, too.

Enchilada Casserole

  • 1 package flour tortillas, burrito size (I ended up using about 2/3 package)
  • 2 cans enchilada sauce
  • 1 large jar salsa
  • 1 lb each jack and cheddar cheese, shredded (I used 2 8oz bags of cheddar jack shredded cheese)
  • 1 lb can chicken broth
  • 2 cups mushrooms (I used 2 packages of fresh sliced mushrooms)
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • 1 chopped onion (I used 1/2 onion)
  • 4 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
-Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
-Saute onions and mushrooms in chicken broth. Add chicken, cumin & chili powder.
Simmer until liquid is absorbed. (Note: I would totally eat it just this far in. See the picture? YUM.)
-In large casserole (11x13 or larger...I think I could've used a bigger one) layer thinly, enchilada sauce, tortillas, 1/2 chicken mix, 1/2 salsa, 1/2 enchilada sauce, 1/2 cheese, and repeat starting with tortillas. Finish with tortilla shells, enchilada sauce and cheese. (picture below is just before baking.)
-Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes and you're done! This was really good with some chips and sour cream. I kept it pretty mild for the church crowd, but if you like it spicier, just use more/spicier chili powder, hotter salsa, etc. and I think that would work.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...