Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Saturday, April 26, 2008

Recycling Candles

I was looking back through some old files of mine and came across this idea for recycling candles into new ones. I have no idea where I got it from, but I thought I'd post it here to share.
After the wick has burned down, I get a large tin can (like the kind diced tomatoes come in, for instance -- you know, the tin cans from supermarkets but in the bigger size), put all of my leftover wax into it. Then I boil water in a regular saucepan on the stove, and set the tin can into it. As long as the can doesn't tip over, your pot doesn't get wax in it (and believe me, if your pot does get wax into it, it will be a pain in the ass to clean out). Once the wax is melted, I pour it directly from the tin can into the mold.
For wicks, you can buy a length of candle wicks from the candle-making supplies at any crafts store.
For molds, I often use toilet paper tubes with masking tape securely fastened over one end. You can use anything, though, even professionally-made candle molds. (I have a friend who cleaned out some eggs with just a tiny hole at the top of the shells, then made egg-shaped candles by using the shell as a mold.)
The only other tip I have is not to pour all your wax into the candle at once. The wick will collapse and you'll just have a glob of wax with a collapsed string inside. Instead, pour maybe a half inch, let it solidify, then pour a little more, etc.
Here's a good way to melt the wax without ruining one of your pots: Cut your leftover wax into smallish hunks and put them into a glass jar (like an old mayonnaise or jelly jar or something like that). Pour a few inches of water into a pot and put the pot on the stove to boil. Place the jar into the water and the wax will melt.
Most craft stores have a candlemaking section where you will find wicks. For adding scents, several drops of essential oil should work well.
For the completely lazy approach to candle recycling, I sometimes cut up old candles into chunks. Then I put a regular taper candle into a jar, and fill the sides up with old candle chunks. Once the taper candle burns down a bit, it melts the chunks and becomes a jar candle."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...