Tuesday, October 28, 2008

more punchneedle: I made my own!

So, I completed another mini punchneedle project last week. I thought it would be fun to try something more structured than my funky pumpkin, and I wanted to see what it was like to make my own design. I was able to do the entire thing in a few hours one evening, which is pretty great! I made the design in Illustrator, printed it out, and traced it onto my weaver's cloth with a fabric pen...



Uh, yeah, then once I finished the whole thing, I realized I should have drawn it on backwards. Oops. In punchneedle, you work from the backside of the fabric, so I basically did the entire thing as a mirror image. Whoops! At least you can still tell it's an "M", even though it looks kind of funny. Oh well.

Then got to work using just a few colors. Nathan and I both really like green, so:




It's about 3 inches square. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I think I did it just the slightest bit too tight (punched too close together on a few spots - you can tell because the fabric is kind of puckered around the edges) but I'm excited to know that it's pretty easy to sketch up my own patterns now. So many of the punchneedle patterns that are readily available are just a little too "country" for my taste (funky primitive is one thing, country kitsch is another) so now I can basically do whatever I want with them! I think they would be cool framed, of course, but also maybe sewn and stuffed into little hanging pillows.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...